Welcome!

Hi and thank you for visiting my blog. My name is Tina, I am 42 years old and married to a wonderful man named Robert. I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area with my husband and our two pugs, Koko and Lucy and a special kitty, named Trixie.

I am of Italian decent and love to cook not just for my family but for everyone! I have a lot of weeknight dinner guest and try to keep it casual but delicious! My Mom passed away a few years ago and was my great teacher.

In 2012 I have changed the way I eat. A real lifestyle change to be healthier, eat a nutrient dense diet and remove all processed foods, refined flours and sugars from our diet. I do cook a lot healthier than my Mom did and do a lot more vegetarian meals, poultry and fish. I'm trying to find a way to keep the traditions of family, friends and good food in my house always.

I plan to post my weekly menus, update with new recipes, health information and articles and how to eat mostly organic in an economical way. I will also periodically post personal updates of my journey to regain health and hope.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Stuffed Cabbage Experiment

Robert asked me to make stuffed cabbages this week. I wasn't too excited about it because usually when I make stuffed cabbage it is for a big party and I am rolling tons of cabbage but this wasn't so bad for a weeknight dinner when making a small batch. I usually use my Mom's stuffed cabbage recipe which calls for ground beef, rice and barley. I decided to experiment a little and use ground turkey and I thought they were really good and a lot more healthful than the traditional version.

Stuffed Cabbage
1.2 lbs lean ground turkey
1 head of cabbage
2 cups of steamed white rice
1 Tbsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. black pepper
(I didn't use salt...but it could definitely use it, try 1/2 tsp.)
32 oz. low sodium V-8 Juice
28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1 lb. sour kraut

1. Prepare cabbage by cutting out the stem and boiling the cabbage head. Remove leaves as they cook and place on dishtowel or in a colander to drain and cool.
2. Mix ground turkey, rice garlic salt, pepper and salt and mix well.
3. Place outer cabbage leaves on the bottom of a large roaster or casserole.
4. Put about 1/4 cup of meat in a cabbage leave and roll up, folding in sides (like a burrito) and placing them in the casserole over the outer leaves.
5. Cover cabbage rolls with sour kraut
6. In a bowl mix the juice & crushed tomato and pour over top.
7. Bake covered at 350 for at least 1 hour and uncovered for an additional 30 minutes.

Makes 10 rolls and freezes well after cooking.

TIP: Place a cookie sheet on the shelf under the casserole to catch any juices that may bubble over and avoid having to clean your oven.

Smashed Red Skinned Potatoes
2 lbs. red skinned potatoes
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) of butter
1/2 cup low fat sour cream
Salt & Pepper to taste
1) Boil potatoes until fork tender
2) With a potato masher, mash the potatoes until no large chunks are noticeable, remove any large pieces of skin that didn't mash.
3) Add in butter and sour cream and mix well.
4) Season with salt and pepper.

No comments: