Updated Sweet and Sour Meatballs - Makes approximately 50 mini meatballs
2.4 lbs. package of ground turkey (85/15 lean)
4 slices of bread (I used chiabatta) coursely ground into breadcrumbs..approximately 2 cups
1 package lipton onion soup
2 jars heinz chili sauce
2 cups - mixed berry jam
2 tsp. lemon juice (approximately the juice of one lemon)
2 tsp. brown sugar
1) Mix ground turkey, breadcrumbs, onion soup mix and eggs in a mixing bowl..mixing until meat can hold together to form into balls.
2) Using a medium scoop dish out equal portions of the meat onto cookie sheets that have been sprayed with cooking spray or brushed with olive oil. Form each portion into a ball by rolling in your hands.
HINT: keep a bowl of warm water near you to make the rolling easier dip your hands in the water every two or three meatballs.
3) Bake in oven at 3:50 until cooked through (approximately 15 minutes)
4) In a mixing bowl combing chili sauce, jam, lemon juice and brown sugar and combine well with wisk.
5) Add meatballs to a slow cooker, pour sauce over and coat each meatball with the sauce. Cook on high for one hour and turn to low or warm. Serve warm.
(Traditionally the recipe calls for beef, bread crumbs, dry minced onion, a variety of spices, chili sauce, jellied cranberry sauce and the meatballs are fried in oil before going into the sauce..this version is slightly healthier and very tasty.) Feel free to write to me for the original recipe if you would like.